27 March 2007

But what are the opposing hitter's batting average?

The ERA is back! Not earned run average, it's the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution and it's back to save women from...well...not really sure. But doesn't it strike you as odd that this amendment is once again proposed on behalf of 51 percent of the country that has achieved damn near everything under the sun without it? Is it really needed? I had no idea I was allowed to oppress women simply because there isn't an amendment to the Constitution outlawing it. I kind of thought the Constitution applied to everyone, regardless of race or gender? I know, there are amendments dealing with race, but those were approved in a time when Democrats were still treating Americans who weren't white as though the South had won the Civil War and a message needed to be sent.

No such parallels exist with women, so do we really need this amendment? Is it just for show? Possibly. Senator Kennedy does have a lot to make up for to women. But I thought it was more likely a wider conspiracy, so I did some snooping around, and I think I found it. Could it be this story? Could be!

In any event, the Constitution is too important to infect it with politically correct, unnecessary garbage. Men are men, women are women, and both are equal in the eyes of the law, as it should be. We don't need to reaffirm this obvious fact in our most important document. The only way men and women could be more equal is if men were forced to buy 30 pairs of shoes, or women were forced to survive with only 3. Neither would tolerate that, and, in the words of Martha Stewart, "That's a good thing."

Men and women are equal, but men and women are different. And, to quote the French, "I surrender!" Wait, wrong quote. I meant to say, "Viva la Difference!"

No comments: